• welcome to
    a disney personified roleplay
  • welcome!
    WE ARE AN ADVANCED, NO WORD COUNT, DISNEY PERSONIFIED ROLEPLAY, SET ON AN ISLAND OFF THE COAST OF MAINE. AFTER AN EARTHQUAKE ROCKS THE ISLAND, THE INHABITANTS ARE STARTING TO GAIN SOME POWERFUL NEW ABILITIES.

please register with first and last names! ex:
    MICKEY MOUSE
    news: 07/01: check out our camp nano event! --- 06/01: with the sun of summer comes a festival celebrating everything artistic! --- 04/01: another april fool's curse means people are ageing up and down! --- 01/31: the super blue blood moon has taken away everyone's powers!
  • stats!
    female
    male
    non-binary
    high school
    university
    local
    new local
  • elias admin
    elias admin
    elias admin
  • JESSIE PRIDE
    MARIE MARMONT
    REMY MULOT, THEO MA &
    SALLY CARRERA

add reply   new topic   new poll

I Do it Freely, [closed: Will/Tahti]
ALANA MERREN
 Posted: Mar 23 2018, 06:24 PM
I need my beauty sleep
University Student
24 years
Cold Immunity & Hydrokinetic Regeneration

user posted image
As much as Alana appreciated working with undergrads to work on their scenes and critique them, which they were practically forced to accept, amusingly, there was really nothing like developing scenes of her own to perform at the graduate level. It wasn’t just that they picked harder scenes, although she certainly didn’t have easy ones that she could toss off without thinking anymore, but that they really had to develop the character beyond the scene that they were doing. Alana didn’t just have to say her lines in a convincing way, which she could do in her sleep, in her thinking, but actually be able to articulate properly why she was making choices that mostly came naturally to her was something else. And it wasn’t as simple as going on Sparknotes and regurgitating character analysis either. It was challenging, although only in the absolutely best way possible, and Alana really felt like she was learning a lot.

Not all of it was going to be particularly useful to her, however. Her current unit was on Shakespeare, and while she enjoyed a good play, and certainly the movie versions of them, she had never intended to perform in one of them. Plays weren’t her thing at all, and the language was foreign and didn’t sit well in her mouth, but it was something challenging and interesting, and would make her better as an actress. It was also one of the few units that was at a time that worked around her other, much more interesting and important units; the graduate department on this was small, and her options were relatively limited. So Alana did the best she could, and tried to throw herself into the character of Beatrice, which wasn’t altogether that difficult. Beatrice was witty, independent and cynical; some aspects that Alana had, and some that she didn’t. She admired Beatrice as a character a lot, particularly in comparison to Hero, although Alana didn’t think they were all that much alike; the sharp comments reminded her more of Andrina, the relationship with Hero like Attina, and the refusal to marry like none of her sisters, honestly.

They scene they had been tasked to do was a short one, which was apparently the point; to get to the core of a character, and your understanding of their characterisation, without the space to deliver a nice long monologue. Alana did have some longer lines as Beatrice, but the scene itself was about the back and forth, working with her partner. And Alana had been pleased, at first, that she was matched with Wilhelm, not because they got along at all, but because he knew Shakespeare. She was regretting that thought now, though. “Are you sure we can’t just use the modernised text for the scene?” she asked him, for the second time, this time thrusting her phone in front of him. Sparknotes ‘No Fear Shakespare’ was up on the scene, and for Alana, flowed so much more easily than the traditional text. “It’ll be something different than everyone else’s scenes,” she tried, sounding far more confident than she was; Alana had no idea what everyone else was doing for a scene, she simply liked her idea.
WILHELM PROTZMANN | Hope this works!

--------------------
Accent: American, New England dialect
user posted image
  pm
^
♔WILHELM PROTZMANN
 Posted: Mar 31 2018, 05:42 PM
WELL, EXCUSE ME! I'M TRYING TO STAY IN CHARACTER!
UNIVERSITY STUDENT
26 years
SPHERICAL FORM & PSYCHOLOGICAL INTUITION

Will was far more himself than he normally was while in the theater on the Academy’s campus. Usually he was so fully in character it was hard figure out where they ended and he began, even when he was off stage. He had too many characters he was working on to know what to focus on, but for once there wasn’t an abundance of musical theater characters for him to tackle. No, right now he had Shakespeare for solace. Benedick was like putting on a warm and comfortable sweater. He’d never performed in Much Ado About Nothing but he’d seen it performed live on his Erasmus, seen the Branagh film, and read it countless times, so it was as familiar as any of the bard’s plays. The scene he and Alana hd been assigned was one of his favorites, even if his partner was far from that.

Spread out in front of him were papers covered in his precise handwriting. He’d printed out the scene in question and the night before had covered it in notes detailed Benedick’s motivations and emotions in the scene in question, analyzing the conflicting love and loyalty he feels towards Beatrice and Claudio. Will felt fairly prepared to practice today, though he was sure some of his choices would change depending on how Alana decided to play Beatrice. He wanted to say he was looking forward to rehearsing, but he wasn’t sure that was true.

It was unfortunate that he knew Alana to be quite a good actress when she annoyed him so much. At the moment she was trying to, yet again, convince him to use the modernized text Sparknotes of all things put out. Will shook his head even as she made her thin argument. He audibly scoffed when she was done, not bothering to look up as he said, “No,” firmly and succinctly.

As far as Will was concerned, that was the end of that. She’d asked a question and he’d given her an answer, but after a few months of suffering through far too many classes with her Will knew that she wouldn’t be satisfied with such a brief answer. He didn’t particularly want to argue with her, but this was a hill he was willing to die on.

Arranging his papers in one neat pile he looked up at her. “This is one of the most romantic scenes in all of Shakespeare,” he told her, holding up the papers he’d been annotating as evidence. At the very least it was the most romantic in his comedies. “It is raw and dynamic and we are not tarnishing it with...modern language.” He sneered slightly at the last phrase, rightfully disgusted, he thought at least, by the suggestion. It was like performing Shakespeare in German, the content was there, but the wit? The subtlety? No, no, it wouldn’t do. He squinted at the phone that was still in his face, trying to read the modernized text. Will only got a few words in before he was saying, “It sounds juvenile,” a bit derisively.
TAG: ALANA MERREN | WORDS: 511 | NOTES: Let me know if anything doesn't work! <3
  pm
^
ALANA MERREN
 Posted: Mar 31 2018, 06:36 PM
I need my beauty sleep
University Student
24 years

user posted image
Alana scowled at Will; not that he noticed, since he wasn’t even looking at her. She wasn’t surprised that he didn’t think of her as an equal partner, because of course he didn’t when it came to Shakespeare, just like she absolutely would not have if they were doing something musical theatre related. But that didn’t mean she didn’t like being dismissed so easily like this, even if the answer had been precisely what she had expected. She huffed loudly, mostly in reply to his loud scoff, and continued to stare down at him as he shuffled through whatever his multitude of papers was on the floor. Honestly, for someone who loved Shakespeare so much, Alana had kind of expected him to be more organised than he evidently was.

His extended answer, which Alana had clearly been aiming for, didn’t make her feel any better. Honestly, part of Alana knew that she shouldn’t have bothered, because it only would put her in a bad mood, but she couldn’t help herself; besides, it wasn’t as though Beatrice was in a very good mood with Benedick in the scene anyway, so channelling one into the other shouldn’t be a problem with her. And Alana was in a very bad mood with Will. “Juvenile?” she demanded shrilly, one small movement away from stamping her foot at him. Honestly, he was maybe a year or two older than her, how dare he bandy that about now. Alana snatched her phone back from him, shaking her head. “Juvenile? You really think that ‘Yes, and I’ll keep crying a while longer’, sounds so much different, and more modern, and more juvenile than ‘Yea, and I’ll keep a while longer’?” Alana demanded. Of course, she had attempted to performed the two lines as closely as she could to how she planned on performing them in the scene, but her annoyance and anger had gotten in the way of her sounding her best, and she knew it.

This also wasn’t an argument she ever had any hope of winning, and she knew that too. So clearly that meant it was time for a different form of assault, one that came just as naturally to her. “Fine,” she said, although from her voice it was very clearly not fine. “I suppose you have some particular way you want this scene, which honestly, I can’t believe you think it’s one of the most romantic scenes in all of Shakespeare, but I suppose there’s some particular way you want it to be read?” Alana asked him. Although she enjoyed the play quite a bit, she couldn’t help but find it too manipulative to be truly romantic; although this play had a happier ending than Romeo and Juliet, those scenes in the beginning of their courtship were far more romantic in her eyes, as were any scenes of banter between Beatrice and Benedick in this place. But this was the scene they were doing, and given how famous a scene it was in the movie, she wasn’t exactly unhappy about it either. “You have a lot of notes,” she added dismissively. So did Alana, as a matter of fact, just not in paper form; how old fashioned of him.
WILHELM PROTZMANN | I guess I have about the same amount of chill as Alana does?

--------------------
user posted image
  pm
^
♔WILHELM PROTZMANN
 Posted: Apr 6 2018, 12:54 AM
UNIVERSITY STUDENT
26 years

His accent, which had been decidedly British when they’d begun their rehearsal, was getting progressively more German the more angry he got. Though accents were one of his specialties, when he was particularly emotional he often found himself slipping back into the one that was most natural for him. “Yes, juvenile,” he repeated firmly. “I’ve read that translation, doesn’t it change ‘Not for the wide world’ to something with ‘the whole wide world’? Why?” He made a face that showed his opinion of that word change. It sounded like something that belonged in a children’s rhyme and didn’t actually help explain the meaning. It was done for no reason except to ruin the rhythm, that Will could see at least. “Modernizing Shakespeare is like...translating it into German,” Will said, sounding like he was lecturing, “It loses its rhythm, its wit. It doesn’t translate. It may be easier to understand, but it also loses its meaning. So, yes it becomes juvenile.”

Will was aware that he’d upset Alana, but he honestly didn’t care at this point, especially at her next words. So maybe the point of Alana’s little tirade wasn’t that the scene in question was unromantic, but that was what angered Will more than anything else she said. “Really, pray tell me what do you think is more romantic than ‘I do love nothing in the world so well as you. Is not that strange?’. Honestly.” Will shook his head, disbelief etched in his features. Then, because of course he couldn’t help himself, he kept going. “When Benedick says he is engaged he is violating the honor between officers, he’s choosing. He decides his love of Beatrice is a higher calling than honor, than friendship. Yes, of course I think it is one of Shakespeare’s most romantic scenes.” Was the commentary necessary? No. But if she didn’t get it, the weight of the scene, then it wouldn’t play right, so Will told himself his little lecture was necessary even though he knew it would just insight more of her anger.

Then he actually turned to her question, glaring down at his papers instead of her because he did have some sense of self preservation. “I had some thoughts on blocking,” he offered coolly, “but I was going to wait and see what you had in mind for Beatrice, unless you need me to give you character direction as well?” Will was being a bit petty, but he didn’t appreciate his taste in Shakespeare being questioned by Alana of all people. Alana - who wanted to use modern language. (Was he ever going to get over that? Probably not). Would he have preferred to read the scene the way he had in mind? Probably, but he wasn’t about to admit that to Alana now.

To her last comment he looked up at her scathingly, wondering for the first time where her notes were. He wasn’t stupid enough to assume she had no notes at all, but he was arrogant enough to icily add, “I like to be prepared,” like she didn’t. Part of him knew he was playing with fire with Alana Merren, but all of him didn't care.
TAG: ALANA MERREN | WORDS: 527 | NOTES: They're both so pissy, I love them already! <3
  pm
^
ALANA MERREN
 Posted: May 4 2018, 06:18 PM
I need my beauty sleep
University Student
24 years

user posted image
It wasn’t that Alana didn’t understand why certain words, certain cadence, was important to the written word, especially if that written word was supposed to be performed rather than read. She was a musical theatre major for goodness sake, specifics words, turns of phrases, even the number of syllables often had extremely important implications if changed. But the meaning here wasn’t changed, no matter how much he wanted to insist that it was. “Making something accessible for everyone isn’t ruining it,” she insisted, shaking her head despite the fact that she wasn’t really surprised this was the angle he was taking. “Especially with Much Ado. If it was, I don’t know, Titus Andronicus, you might have a point,” she stated, as she was fairly certain that was a play which was mostly written in verse. “And I’m not saying all translations are good, but this isn’t a difficult scene in terms of word play, and it’s in prose. You’re just being difficult.” Not that that was out of character for Will at all, but it was still immensely annoying for her to have to deal with.

Alana rolled her eyes, unable to help herself when Will went into lecture mode; she had better learn to control herself better though, or else it seemed she’d be rolling her eyes over and over again throughout the entire thing. “That line, that specific line, is very romantic,” she agreed, because no matter what Will might think, she wasn’t a moron. His emphasis might be on Shakespeare but this was hardly the first scene of his that she’d read or performed. “But he doesn’t decide it freely, does he?” she asked him, trying to reign in some of her sarcasm and failing very badly. “His immediate response is to say no, to value his friendship. He changes his mind because it’s the only way to prove his love for her, the only way she’ll accept. I’m not saying it’s not a good scene for other reasons,” she added, speaking mostly the feminist ones of Benedict confronting the others on nothing more than Beatrice’s word of Hero’s innocence; that was something that should happen more often, that still didn’t today. Still, calling it romantic as opposed to a man being a semi-decent human being was a bit of a stretch. “Their banter is fantastic, but that’s not what we’re doing,” she pointed out, crossing her arms in front of her. Alana didn’t think it was that difficult to see her point of view, but maybe it was.

She gave Will a dirty look. “Well considering this scene is all about a woman complaining about a man who thinks he knows better than her, I think I’ll be able to find my character’s motivation just fine,” she said prissily, giving him a smirk. It was a simplistic view of the character too, which she had just said in order to annoy him further. “Your blocking will be fine, I’m sure,” she said dismissively. She worked well with directors because that kind of thing didn’t come naturally to her, and having direction helped; she would add in flares of her own of course, but for the most part, she was sure she could work with his. “But I meant more background. Although I suppose as a purist, you probably just want to imagine we’re performing it in Shakespeare’s time don’t you?” she asked, although her sigh indicated she thought she already knew the answer. “This is a play, and especially this scene, that can be translated into any time period. Even if we don’t change the words.” She still wanted to, but they didn’t have to. “Don’t you think it’ll be a bit more interesting and original if we pick a specific time period and let that influence us?” As, very evidently, Alana did.

--------------------
user posted image
  pm
^
♔WILHELM PROTZMANN
 Posted: Jul 2 2018, 02:20 AM
UNIVERSITY STUDENT
26 years

For a brief moment the fact that she managed to make an accurate comparison with Titus Andronicus of all plays managed to hold back his annoyance, but then she kept going. When she was done all he wanted was to say something petulant like, ‘If I’m being difficult, you’re being impossible,’ but he knew Alana would just laugh. It wasn’t the first time he’d been labeled something like that, and it wouldn’t be the last. Will was fairly sure that was true of his scene partner as well. How annoying. He was only difficult when he was right, which, admittedly, was most of the time.

“This translation,” he said, his lips curling in disgust at the thought of it, “isn’t just changing the few lines that might need clarification for the average audience member though, it changes everything for no particular reason, even when it isn’t necessary. Like you said, the scene isn’t difficult in terms of word play, so it shouldn’t need to be edited that much in order to make it accessible.” He threw her words back at her. It would’ve been almost gleeful if he wasn’t so annoyed with Alana. He didn’t get what about this was so hard for Alana to accept.

For a brief moment he took the victory that Alana gave him with a self-satisfied nod. But then she had to keep going, and it took all of Will’s self control not to groan in frustration. It wasn’t that she was wrong, but she wasn’t right either. “You’re completely oversimplifying his motivation!” Will protested, clearly frustrated. “Yes, he says no the first time, he won’t violate the honor between officers and kill his best friend, even if he thinks he’s wrong. But he listens to her outrage and when he asks her if she believes Claudio has wronged Hero in her soul, and she says yes, that’s enough for him. He takes her at her word, with no proof. In those brief moments he goes from someone whose entire life is governed by his role in the army to taking Beatrice’s thought as the thought that should guide him, ignoring the possible consequences. And it means all the more since he’s spent most of the play being openly disdainful of relationships and love!” He was on his feet at this point, unable to contain his reaction well, his accent unavoidably German.

Then, scoffing slightly and making a stab in the dark at her taste in Shakespeare he said, “Sure, it’s not the flowery prose of Romeo and Juliet,” a play he both loved and hated for various reasons, “but it’s far more real.” Alana could think what she liked, but she was wrong.

Now that he’d gotten out his diatribe about the scene, he was able to see that nothing about his tone or words was helping them get through this assignment smoothly. For a brief moment he resolved to rectify this, but his attitude wasn’t improved by the obvious slight Alana aimed at him. Will caught her look and glared back. Just as she’d simplified Benedick, she was doing the same with Beatrice, but this time it was done so heavy-handedly that Will was fairly sure it was done purposefully. “I’m sure,” he said through gritted teeth, trying to ignore the urge to retort. He forced himself to return his attention to his notes and not to Alana’s prissy smirk.

Out of all the suggestions Alana had made about their assignment, playing with an alternate time period wasn’t the worst of them. In fact, it was far from it. It wasn’t his favorite way of seeing Shakespeare performed, but he’d seen it done successfully a few times (and unsuccessfully more than that). If it didn’t change the prose, Will generally was willing to give it a shot, but he was always particular. Fresh off his resolve to try to make the atmosphere slightly less hostile (which he’d already failed at), he asked in a measured tone, “What kind of time period did you have in mind?” If it was a stupid idea he’d have no problem shooting it down, but this, more than her stupid translation fixation, was worth hearing. “Just a vague modern, or something more specific?” The former was easier, the latter potentially more interesting.
TAG: ALANA MERREN | WORDS: 704 | NOTES: sorry for the mini-Shakespeare lecture he's #theworst
  pm
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

options     add reply   new topic   new poll

• c
  • b
  • o
  • x
administratormoderator
BE RESPECTFUL AND NO SPAMMING!
join us on discord!
remote cbox