• welcome to
    a disney personified roleplay
  • welcome!
    WE ARE AN ADVANCED, NO WORD COUNT, DISNEY PERSONIFIED ROLEPLAY, SET ON AN ISLAND OFF THE COAST OF MAINE. AFTER AN EARTHQUAKE ROCKS THE ISLAND, THE INHABITANTS ARE STARTING TO GAIN SOME POWERFUL NEW ABILITIES.

please register with first and last names! ex:
    MICKEY MOUSE
    news: 07/01: check out our camp nano event! --- 06/01: with the sun of summer comes a festival celebrating everything artistic! --- 04/01: another april fool's curse means people are ageing up and down! --- 01/31: the super blue blood moon has taken away everyone's powers!
  • stats!
    female
    male
    non-binary
    high school
    university
    local
    new local
  • elias admin
    elias admin
    elias admin
  • JESSIE PRIDE
    MARIE MARMONT
    REMY MULOT, THEO MA &
    SALLY CARRERA

add reply   new topic   new poll

She was a hurricane, cleo <3
♔SERENA DOUGLAS
 Posted: Nov 20 2017, 06:32 AM
We were only going to drown her
local
25 years
water generation and jealousy aura

The beach had always had a calming effect on Serena – or maybe it was more accurate to say that it was a tranquil place for her. When she was really upset or angry, she’d come down here to calm down, but it didn’t always work out that way for her. Sometimes Serena felt empty, rather than calm, and sometimes it just made her feel worse.

Today wasn’t anything so serious as all of that – Christmas was coming up, which was always difficult in her family, but not enough to make her feel the need to escape (or not any more than usual, anyway). It actually helped having her father no longer on the island, at least her mother could deal with it better. Jack’s anniversary was a lot worse, but that wasn’t for a number of months, and best not (never) thought about.

No, today it was boredom that had brought Serena out to brave the cold – it was November after all. Lorelei and Daphne were both busy ‘working’, but Serena had the day off, there being some sort of training event at the bank that Serena thankfully didn’t have to attend. She quite liked her job most of the time, but training days meant spending way too much time around her co-workers, so once she had heard she could get the day off, she was taking it.

Walking along the beach, the wind blowing through her hair, was just a good way to spend the afternoon. She was heading right by the small group of rock pools that were right near the cove, on the outskirts of the cave opening, when she spotted someone else further down, close by the water.

Serena shrugged and figured that she may as well go and see what was going on down that way. She didn’t have anything else going on for the day after all, and the people who also liked the water this time of year may just be doing something interesting. The winds were blowing too, not anything near a gale force, but enough for Serena’s hair to be blowing around and obscuring her view of what was going on, so all that was left to do was check it out herself.

The closer she worked, the less Serena could figure out what the girl was doing. She was familiar looking, but not nearly enough for Serena to be able to figure out who she was by the back and side of her head, especially since she was focusing much more on what she was doing, and not on anyone who was coming up behind her. She peered over her shoulder instead, focusing on what was going on just by the water. “Just what are you doing?” Serena asked – rude words, but her tone was mostly curious, more than anything else.

TAG: CLEO LARSON | WORDS: 471 | NOTES: let me know if anything doesn't work! outfit

--------------------
Accent: Maine
user posted image
The best things in life are free
But you can give then to the birds and bees
Money don't get everything, it's true
But what it don't get, I can't use
I need money, that's what I want
  pm
^
CLEO LARSON
 Posted: Nov 20 2017, 07:54 AM
Two lost souls, swimming in a fish bowl
university student
23 years
Fish Physiology & Aquabatics

There was something about being near the water that had always been incredibly calming to Cleo. Even from a young age, it was obvious that she felt a lot more secure with her body in the sea, than on the ground. Perhaps it was that the sea was so large, you could lose yourself in it. It wasn’t the type of losing yourself where you become overwhelmed, and fade out. No, it was rather that the sea was so unpredictable, expansive and unyielding, that floating away and leaving all your worries on the land was easy. Now, of course, her unusual life twist – having some powers that could only be put down to that Earthquake but otherwise were inexplicable for everyone involved – made the water even more inviting. Being near the water no longer had much danger combined with it. She was a stronger swimmer than any amount of practice would ever have given her, so going for an afternoon dip was often a rather eventful experience.

Today, though, her feet were staying firmly on the ground. Though the day had started with her jeans being rolled up to above her knees, she had given that up. Now wearing a jumper over her swimming costume (more to look normal, really, another advantage of her abilities was that the water wasn’t so cold to her anymore), she was thigh deep in water and trying to note down the contents of the rock-pools in front of her. The plant life was relatively easy, as it sat there obediently and let her count it and take photos, but the living critters and creatures kept scuttling about and moving into different areas.

This meant her concentration had to be one-hundred-percent on the task before her. It wouldn’t do to get distracted and not realise a crab had scuttled into the next testing zone and count it twice! So, it made her jump tremendously when someone had crept up behind her without her hearing and asked her a question.

“What?” Her initial response to the question was more of a confused reaction than an actual answer. It took her a few moments to digest the words and make sense of what she had heard. “Oh. Um.” She pressed her lips together and looked down at her work, before looking back to the red-head girl in front of her. She was pretty sure she recognised her, actually, although the name wasn’t springing straight to the front of her mind. She was sure it would come back to her in a moment. The question actually sounded a little rude, maybe, though really, she just looked like someone who had no idea what Cleo was doing. Which was probably fair enough…

Though, whilst trying to decide whether she figured the other was being offensive or not, it suddenly occurred to her who this was. Ah, yes. From what she knew of Serena, the question quite possibly could be considered the way it sounded. She wasn’t intimidated by the other, though she could see why people might be. Those eyes, mostly, were incredibly piercing, and her looks were attractive but not altogether warm.
“It’s my university assignment!” She gestured her net a little as if that would help make things a little more understandable. “Just counting what little things might be lurking in each section to get an idea of numbers. It’s probably incredibly dull sounding, but it’s fun, I promise. Want a go?”

TAG: SERENA DOUGLAS | WORDS: 585 | NOTES: It was great!! I loved it <33

[/dohtml]

--------------------
Accent: Midland American.
  pm
^
♔SERENA DOUGLAS
 Posted: Nov 22 2017, 05:24 AM
local
25 years

It wasn’t until Serena had gotten closer that she’d realised the other woman wasn’t just near the rock pools, but actually in the water – which was a little bit ridiculous to Serena. She enjoyed being by the water, even more now that she had a power that was connected to it (although, if you thought of it that way, when was Serena ever not near the water, really?), but being in the water on a windy day like today was too much for her. She must have been cold, Serena thought idly, but not really caring all that much.

It wasn’t until she turned around and looked at her that Serena recognised her – Cleo something, a foster kid who had lived on Elias Island for maybe a little longer than Serena, but not by much she was pretty sure. Serena didn’t keep track of anything but gossip about people other than those she cared about, like her friends, so she didn’t know all that much about Cleo and her family, but there was a bit stored in Serena’s memory. Nothing of it was very helpful now, although she was going to add in weird about the cold water to it.

Her explanation wasn’t a very good one, although she seemed all happy and eager about it – even inviting Serena to join in. She gave Cleo a look, half amused and half bemused, as to why she was even being asked that – which was totally ruined by the fact that she was wearing glasses. With a small, almost silent sigh, Serena took her glasses off, tucking them in her coat pocket – the glare wasn’t great, but it wasn’t as bad as it had been earlier either. “Do I want to practice my counting with you?” she repeated, shaking her head. “Nah, I think I’m good, but thanks.

“Besides, I really don’t think I want to come out as far as you anyway,” she added, winkling her nose. Serena could hear her easily, it’s not like there was anyone else around, but she was a distance back, not wanting to get her shoes wet with anything worse than spray – at least she hadn’t worn her suede shoes. “I’m really not dressed for the occasion to head into the water.

“And, um,” Serena added with a tilted head, trying to figure it out. “You are. Does your college really expect you to head out here during winter, well almost winter, to do this kind of thing?” Serena was honestly curious – she wasn’t unhappy that she hadn’t decided to go to college, and she wasn’t planning on ever heading back there (the closest thing to what she was doing now was accounting, which, no), but she was always curious to find out more about it, and what others put themselves through for it. It was so outside of what Serena was willing to do. “That’s kind of extra.” She probably just would have said no, honestly.

TAG: CLEO LARSON | WORDS: 492 | NOTES: <3

--------------------
user posted image
  pm
^
CLEO LARSON
 Posted: Nov 23 2017, 04:15 AM
university student
23 years

Well, the fact that she was less than eager to get into the water really backed up the ideas that Serena was less than fun. Still, she was trying to not make any firm judgements despite what she had heard. Cleo always preferred to assess people through her own means…though, during this conversation, it was certainly becoming harder to ignore all that she had heard before. She pushed some hair from her face as the wind pushed some of her brown waves into her face and looked over the other, as she pushed her glasses into her coat pocket and also proceeded to look over Cleo with a large amount of scrutiny.

“To be honest, the extra is all me. You could do it quite perfectly from the edge of the sand there.” She gestured in front of Serena to the line where rock met sand. It was a gentle incline of rock, with no seaweed on, and therefore perfect for someone to stand on whilst looking into the pool. “I just get a slightly better angle from here but I wouldn’t expect you to get in the water as well.”

She was determined not to give up right away. There were lots of interesting things that she could show Serena – Cleo was always up for sharing some excitement about aquatic life – and she also didn’t particularly like the attitude Serena had given to a perfectly reasonable hobby. She took a few strides in the deep water until it was at her knees, ankles and then her feet were squishing into the wet sand until she reached the other.

She held her net forwards, handle pointing towards Serena, and gave her a smile. “It’s interesting, I swear. The counting is definitely a by-product of the cool part.”

She put her feet onto the rock and took a few steps up it before crouching down. “See? No need for wet feet, either.”

Whilst she didn’t particularly feel she had any point to prove (hey, if someone wanted to think she was a crazy rock-pool lady, that was fine by her), but Serena had been so quick to turn down the offer that Cleo wanted to show her it wasn’t all bad at all. If her offers still continued to be steadily rejected, she supposed that she would have to write Serena off as someone who just wasn’t willing to try new things. But that was an idea she really hated. People aren’t as simple as being able to fit into boxes like that. There was reasoning and motive behind people’s actions (even if they didn’t always make sense). Besides that, this was fun, and she wasn’t afraid to tell someone they were missing out.

TAG: SERENA DOUGLAS | WORDS: 462 | NOTES: <33

[/dohtml]

--------------------
  pm
^
♔SERENA DOUGLAS
 Posted: Nov 28 2017, 06:15 AM
local
25 years

This Cleo was rather eager and enthusiastic. She wasn’t being overly bubbly, which Serena hated because so often for her it translated into something fake – something that someone didn’t mean, like they had heard women were supposed to be bubbly and bright and acted that way because they thought they had to. Serena would never pretend that she was an amazing person, but at least she was honest, and she’d never fake enthusiasm for something like that.

Cleo’s enthusiasm didn’t seem fake either, at least not to Serena (not that Serena was the best judge of character), because it seemed pretty chill. Despite her talk that she was extra (and okay, it definitely was kind of ridiculous if she was the one who had volunteered to head that far into the water at this time of year, Serena wasn’t sure how long she’d been on Elias Island but it was long enough to know that water was cold right about now), her attitude towards Serena didn’t seem to be. She wasn’t acting like she was the coolest person on the earth ever, or that she was doing very important works that Serena couldn’t understand, or should but didn’t understand; she just acted like she was doing a job, and hey, would Serena like to join.

Even though she was feeling kind of unsure over it, and really looked it too, making a face, Serena still took the net that was handed to her. If Cleo had acted in a wide range of other ways she wouldn’t have, but Serena actually would have felt weird if she hadn’t taken it.

Of course, once it was in her hand, Serena definitely felt weird. She had taken a step towards Cleo in order to grab it, and she moved a bit further down to the edge of the sand where Cleo had indicated, crouching down as well. Peering down into the little rock pool, Serena could see all sorts of things in there – most of them she couldn’t name, other than the every basics, but Serena assumed Cleo was doing something a bit more interested than that.

“So what am I supposed to do, just scoop them out in the net?” she asked, looking over at Cleo with an expectant, kind of impatient look on her face. “Scoop them out, you count them, write something down I assume – that’s how real science is done, right?” she couldn’t help but snark, although the reference to a science based TV show hardly counted as snark, “and then move on to another net full? Or?” She adjusted her weight awkwardly, wondering if she was missing something.

“Aren’t you afraid of double counting? Or that, like, you even taking them out will damage their ecosystem or whatever?” she asked curiously. The latter wasn’t as strong a question, because she really didn’t know about that kind of thing, but a lot of her job was based on counting, and this really didn’t seem a very efficient way to do things.

TAG: CLEO LARSON | WORDS: 502 | NOTES: <3

--------------------
user posted image
  pm
^
CLEO LARSON
 Posted: Nov 29 2017, 07:55 PM
university student
23 years

Cleo wasn't going to deny that she had heard things about Serena that had formed a certain impression in her head. Although she really tried hard not to let these sorts of things get to her, she couldn't help but let a small amount of opinion form when people talked about her, and Cleo had no personal experience to back it up. She was sure that Serena had similar information about her to back it up on. They didn't really know each other, but had a few mutual people, and it wasn't that large an island that you never heard about the people moving in her social circles.

However, all that she had heard really seemed to be wrong. Although Serena looked less than convinced, she had still taken the net and was advancing towards the rock pool where Cleo had gestured, She had to hand it to her: her first impression today had been totally incorrect. She really hadn't imagined Serena to be up for it, let alone taking the net and marching to the edge of the rock=pool. She laughed a little, happy that Serena was taking such an interest, and walked over to where the other crouched impatiently.

"It's difficult," she admitted, wondering why someone was so interested in counting at the end of it all. It wasn't usually what people were worried about, so it curious to her that Serena had thought of this first. "I lay down this grid thing, here," pulling a large plastic grid out and laying it gently between the rocks. This way, everything had it's large square (about 15x15cm), but also she could tell what moved from what square.

"You take a picture now, before you start. Then, once you've done that, you could what you see. The key is getting a good photo before starting so you can check if anything did wonder about. I'm super impressed you asked that, though. That's exactly the sort of thing we would be worrying about."

She really didn't mean to sound patronising, she wasn't sure she had ever felt that enough to come out with something. Especially now, when she was being sincere, and Serena seemed to be trying, her sarcasm wasn't wanted. She pointed to a small crab that was making a run from it across the water.
"See, you caught him earlier on camera, so you know only to count him once. As for taking them out of their environment, we only ever look like you're going now. It's more to protect them than anything."

She wanted to ask Serena what she was doing here, but it felt a little rude, and she wanted to keep the general respect going. "You seem very keen on the methods of counting? Are you interested in it?"

TAG: SERENA DOUGLAS | WORDS: 473 | NOTES: <33

[/dohtml]

--------------------
  pm
^
♔SERENA DOUGLAS
 Posted: Jan 18 2018, 06:05 AM
local
25 years

Serena watched with some interest (more than she’d expected herself) as she watched Cleo lay out the grid. It wasn’t a perfect system of course, but other than putting the fish in a bucket once they’d been counted, which would probably have been a bad idea, she couldn’t think of another way to get it done.

The photo thing Serena was much less convinced by, and she frowned and looked at Cleo, shaking her head. “Okay, but what if they move before you’ve taken a good enough picture?” she asked, then rolled her eyes at herself. That had been such a poorly said statement, even Serena knew the answer. “I mean, what if you take a photo that doesn’t capture it all, because it’s too big or whatever, and they’ve moved from one square to another in the time it takes to take two photos? Or do you just take one big one and hope there’s enough detail to tell, like, this red finned fish from that red finned fish?” Serena wasn’t even sure there were any red finned fish in there, but hopefully Cleo got her point.

The crab example really didn’t help all that much, but Serena pulled out her phone anyway. She was not about to get in the water, so she really wasn’t sure how useful her photos would be – wouldn’t they need to be taken from above? – but she was ready to try it out, if that’s what Cleo was going to direct her to do. She’d be proven wrong if Cleo was right after all, even if she really didn’t think the other woman was right.

“So you’re what, tracking patterns and births and stuff?” Serena had almost said migratory patterns, stopping herself just in time – these weren’t birds. “Isn’t that like, pretty long term stuff?” she asked doubtfully. “You’re a student right, how long are you going to be doing this project?” Weren’t these kinds of things semester long things, not year long things? Unless the population changed that much, that fast – which Serena guessed it could have – she still didn’t really get it.

Still, she peered down through the grid, seeing all the different sea creatures in there. It was kind of interesting, even if Serena would rather look at it online, or have it as a photo in her house, rather than have to stand out and watch it happen. The question Cleo asked was kind of odd, but Serena just glanced up at her, before looking back down. “Uh, yeah, I guess?” she answered, a little awkward.

Looking up and shaking her head a little, she tried that again. “I’m a bank teller,” she explained, “so I guess keeping track of numbers and that comes pretty naturally to me.” Definitely not exactly true, since she had learnt it and she was no accountant, but true enough. “I like the water, but counting comes more naturally than fish, anyway,” she added, peering back down. Fish confused her, numbers she could handle.

“Okay, so do you want me to do anything, or?” she asked, giving Cleo another expectant look.

TAG: CLEO LARSON | WORDS: 517 | NOTES: <3

pm
^
CLEO LARSON
 Posted: Jan 30 2018, 06:33 PM
university student
23 years

Cleo smiled. It was a little endearing to see someone so interested in something she enjoyed, especially when this person had (for all intents and purposes) been only a small step from a stranger a moment ago. "You take one from up high and then some ones closer in, that way you have to hope you have the best representation you have."

She realised that perhaps this wasn't as fascinating for people who weren't into Marine Biology like she was, but she was always hoping to pass on the enthusiasm - even if it was just a little bit. The questions meant interest: even if at this stage she was just continuing to prove a point, it was still continuing. Serena could have easily left and walked away. In fact, probably most people would have which Cleo definitely respected. It's not every day that you can call over someone to come and sit over a rockpool with you.

"I'm helping out my professor with his project for my research," she explained, vaguely waving a hand like this added to her point. It didn't, of course, and Serena was probably still left thinking exactly why Cleo would spend her spare time like this. "When I leave, I pass it back onto him and he can find someone else to help him with his research!"

When she played it back in her head, the whole counting things seemed a very weird question to have asked. She really had meant it "are you interested in how I manage the counting," but had actually just come off as a general question. Which, really, who asked someone if they liked counting? Who liked counting? She let out a little nervous laugh, only slightly relieved that Serena hadn't basically scoffed in her face and told her it was a stupid thing to say. Though, no doubt, Cleo would have had a retort ready, even if it had been a fair comment. As it happened, she was also someone who worked with numbers. So, totally legitimate question. "Ah! That's so interesting! Or, well, sounds very complex but interesting."

Cleo had been so focused on watching Serena looked into the pool, that she had become a little distracted and jumped a bit when the other spoke to her again. "Oh!" She pulled out a pen and notebook. "Just tell me the numbers and I'll look through them again later - just basically like a sense check. It's not as easy as the plants but if your photos are good enough, I can count them later anyway." She crouched down beside Serena so she could look at the sections in the same detail. "It's nice to meet someone who likes the water. Most people probably would have given me a look like I had asked them to jump into the sea naked, or something."

TAG: SERENA DOUGLAS | WORDS: 503 | NOTES: <33

--------------------
  pm
^
♔SERENA DOUGLAS
 Posted: Feb 17 2018, 08:21 AM
local
25 years

Cleo’s answer wasn’t nearly as thorough as Serena was expecting, but in a way it kind of made her feel better. She thought that there might have been some super amazing and secret scientific answer, which there clearly wasn’t, and she had been worried there was some obvious logical answer that she’d just been missing, but there clearly wasn’t one of them either. Instead, there was just a ‘near enough is good enough’ answer, and considering that was about the amount of effort Serena normally put into serious things like this, that definitely worked for her.

Serena wasn’t nearly as satisfied with the answer on the research though. “So what, you just pass on your hard work to someone else to take credit for it?” Serena asked, sounding annoyed and frustrated on Cleo’s, or some other imaginary slight student’s, behalf. “That sound pretty shitty. Like, do you at least get, I don’t know, a grade boost out of it?” She was trying to remember the term she had heard on tv, but she was struggling to remember it.

“You should get something,” Serena pointed out bluntly. “I mean, you’re the one who’s out here doing the actual work. I don’t see the Professor out here doing it.” Although honestly, it sounded like a pretty good gig, ordering students around to do your research. “Although I guess you already know that going into it, huh. I kind of respect your professor on this,” she admitted. Clearly Serena should have gone into academics and then maybe she could have done that too.

Serena couldn’t imagine ever receiving that kind of enthusiasm about her job. It made her a little bit suspicious, but mostly just made her think Cleo was too easily impressed, and clearly way too easily led. “It’s not,” Serena said bluntly. “I just count out other people’s money all day. I mean, I like my job fine,” she told Cleo, as though the other woman would care about this, “and it’s way better than a lot of other jobs I could be doing, but it’s not like exciting.” Some days Serena kind of hoped for a robbery just to make it interesting, but she knew better than to voice that kind of thing out loud – she’d gotten weird looks for that before.

Telling Cleo numbers though, that Serena could do. “Alright,” she agreed, shrugging. She called out what she saw, using wonderful descriptions like ‘blueish fish’, ‘brown stripy thing’, and ‘blackish and brownish blob’, but Cleo didn’t seem unhappy with her descriptions, at least. Maybe they made more sense to her than Serena had assumed they would, if she really knew her fish they might.

Serena shrugged at the compliment, thinking she deserved many of those on many other topics, but maybe not this particular one. “The water’s great, anyone who doesn’t think so is the weird one,” she said firmly. “I mean, the fish thing is weird,” she added, glancing over at Cleo. “But the water thing, I totally get.

“Although honestly, anyone who reacts that badly to the idea of skinny dipping isn’t worth anything anyway,” she added with a small smirk to herself. “Jumping into the sea naked is fun too.” Especially if you were with someone, but honestly, even if you weren’t.

TAG: CLEO LARSON | WORDS: 546 | NOTES: <3

--------------------
user posted image
  pm
^
CLEO LARSON
 Posted: Feb 22 2018, 03:36 PM
university student
23 years

Serena's sudden, seeming, concern for Cleo's grades was unexpected but not unpleasant. It actually made her think that Serena had quite a strong sense of justice which is definitely something she could agree with. To be honest, the accuracy of the test was more important than she was making it out to be but Serena was no biologist (well, okay, she was assuming but she was pretty confident in her assumption) and Cleo didn't want to apply the extra pressure.
"Oh? You want my professor to swindle me out of my grades now, do you?" she remarked, raising an eyebrow but still keeping her tone playful so Serena wouldn't take it too seriously. Cleo knew of Serena, a little, and had heard little as well. But it's always difficult not to let others shape your perception of people before you meet them and Cleo wasn't very good at retracting from her first judgements of people. Serena, however, was challenging them a little bit and she wasn't overly displeased about it. "I get a grade boost: my honour is defended. Or really, your honour, seeing as you're doing all this right now."

But, well, for all she had just thought the blunt answer about her job being fun made her eyebrow quirk up again - though not really in such a playful way this time. Okay, then. No enthusiasm for banking. "Why don't you do something that does excite you, then?" Cleo had been through rather a lot compared to the average person, she knew that, and it had made her appreciate life an awful lot. Whether she would be different, had things been different, she didn't know: either way, wasting time doing something you didn't love seemed silly to her. Not that Serena was silly, per se, lots of people fell into the same trap. "You could be spending time doing something you love all day!" Which is probably why Serena didn't understand why Cleo would be out here, any weather, collecting her data. She didn't always want to work but she definitely loved her studies.

For all her disparaging looks on "this fish thing," Serena had done a good job of reading out the fish types to her for her to write down. She certainly had enough information to go back to, later, and refine, and having two people to do the job had certainly sped things up. "Usually I spend three times as long doing this by myself. So whether you think it's weird or not, you've saved me some time. I can only be grateful for that."

Her head rocked back a bit as she laughed at the skinny dipping comment. "It's true. Though awfully cold this time of year..." For most, anyway. Cleo could happily stand in any water without getting cold - or it at least took a lot longer now - but she figured most might freeze if they tried now. In the Summer, however, Cleo probably did it more than people might think. "Skinny dipping is great, especially to cool off when it's warm. Are you saying you do it a lot?"

Cleo wasn't particularly shy of flirting, though she didn't like to be too obtuse, either. She was confident enough to realise sometimes people were interested and sometimes they weren't but also that a playful comment often didn't equate to much in people's minds except being conversational. There was a time when she may have felt awkward about it but not anymore. "This place is great for it."

TAG: SERENA DOUGLAS | WORDS: 626 | NOTES: <33

--------------------
  pm
^
♔SERENA DOUGLAS
 Posted: May 1 2018, 07:01 AM
local
25 years

The little playful retort made Serena respond in kind, smirking at Cleo and shrugging. “Does it count as swindling if you already knew what was gonna happen going in?” she asked rhetorically, unable to keep the smile from her face. “I mean, if you know your research is gonna be used by someone else, and you don’t get a grade boost or whatever they’re called out of it – extra credit!” she added triumphantly, happy that she’d managed to remember the term. “Out of it, then really, you kind of only have yourself to blame. Honestly, it’s a pretty good racket to have.”

Cleo was right though, the professor might have the start of the racket – but Cleo was clearly taking advantage right now. “You really shouldn’t have pointed that out to me,” Serena pointed out bluntly, but considering she wasn’t dropping everything and leaving, her bluff really wasn’t working out very well either. “I could just run off and then you’d have to do the work yourself, without my ever so charming presence.” Serena was kind of joking, but she was also mostly not joking; she knew her own worth.

“Money excites me,” was perhaps a less than stellar response, but it was a true one. Serena shrugged, really not wanting to get into it with a girl who was really a stranger to her – it might be easier than discussing it with her mother, but not by much. “Work doesn’t. Not any kind of work.” If Serena could get away with not working she would do it in an instant – whenever her co-workers talked about getting bored if they were just at home, she scoffed. Serena would make some lucky lady an amazing trophy wife.

“Are you really trying to tell me that you love this?” she asked, clearly not believing Cleo. “This?” She looked around the little pool, as though the reason was going to pop up from somewhere, but nothing. Sure it was diverting enough for an afternoon, but Serena couldn’t imaging wanting to do anything like this beyond a couple of hours, really, if that – and only because it was something different. If she just had to do this every day, even every week for weeks on end, she’d definitely get bored with it after just a couple of turns.

The praise, such as it was, was nice. Serena shrugged it off, wanting to keep up her cool façade more than anything, but she couldn’t pretend that she wasn’t smiling a little, looking chuffed, not just on the inside, but outwardly too. “I guess I’ve done you a big favour, then,” Serena pointed out with a grin. “You can owe me for that, I’m sure I’ll think of some way you can repay me for it.” Honestly, she had zero clues what that way might be, but it was never a good idea to brush off a favour when she could just bring it up at some convenient time for her.

Serena made a show of thinking about Cleo’s question, humming to herself quietly. “A lot is probably, well, saying a lot,” she admitted, totally without shame. “But during summer, definitely. There’s some great places up and down the shoreline where you can slip in without anyone noticing. And some great places you can slip in with lots of people noticing, if that’s what you prefer,” she added with a laugh. Serena did the former more often, and not even that often, but it was a lot of fun when she did it.

“I wouldn’t have guessed Miss Good Grades would have done it though,” she had to admit, a little impressed. She would have said she was too much of a good girl for that, and it was intriguing to be wrong. “Are you saying you do it a lot?” Huh, maybe Serena had been wrong about her. Unlikely, but it could happen.

TAG: CLEO LARSON | WORDS: 648 | NOTES: <3

--------------------
user posted image
  pm
^
CLEO LARSON
 Posted: Jun 28 2018, 05:45 AM
university student
23 years

She laughed, not sure if she was finding it more endearing how into the project Serena was getting, or amusing that she seemed to respect the idea of a swindling professor, but either way she was surprised a little by the good time she was having. Cleo had times when she could be very judgemental, though she has patience to offer if someone was trying. She had been the former, in terms of Serena, based purely on things she had heard over the years. It wasn't a very big island and they had both been here for a while. She supposed it was largely unavoidable. "You're right. That is a pretty good deal for the professors. Maybe you missed your calling to become famous through students' endeavours, after all!"

Cleo gasped, over-dramatically, the net almost hitting her in the face as she did so. So smooth. "You're right. I have just given you an out. But something tells me you'd quite like to stay - even if the reason is not helping me get good grades, I'll appreciate it. Even if I'm aware I could find something more alluring than seaweed and hermit crabs to make you stay?"

And she supposed at least Serena was honest about the money thing. Work, clearly, wasn't for everyone. "So you need an incredibly rich partner who enjoys spoiling you?" she pointed out, finding it her turn to be blunt now. "I don't think that's beyond the realms of possibility." She certainly had the looks for it, though Cleo felt it might be laying it on a little thick to add that. "I do love this, though. I love learning about sea life, I love the water and I love seeing how I can help conservation of our coasts and animals that live there!" She could definitely talk for hours about it but she didn't want to scare Serena off by giving an unwanted lecture.

Cleo also had no idea what sort of favour she could do for Serena, given that she wasn't sure she had anything she wanted, but it was true that she deserved the recognition for her help. "Well, I guess I'm at your disposal for one wish," she said, teasing, but meaning it all the same.

She wondered if the good grades was meant to be an insult but, either way, it was interesting. It meant that it was the impression most people had of her from the outside. Which was flattering, as she valued intelligence, but also there was so much more to her than just being diligent with her academia. "I have been known, when it gets hot, to slip into some of those more secluded areas without my clothes on. I can confirm." She grinned, not even going to pretend to deny that Serena skinny dipping was something she could absolutely get behind. She wasn't immune to finding people attractive, after all. "And I would absolutely do it again, too." A laugh chimed out as she ticked off another species from her list. "So you're not just learning about the sea today."

TAG: SERENA DOUGLAS | WORDS: 552 | NOTES: <33

--------------------
  pm
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

options     add reply   new topic   new poll

• c
  • b
  • o
  • x
administratormoderator
BE RESPECTFUL AND NO SPAMMING!
join us on discord!
remote cbox