• welcome to
    a disney personified roleplay
  • welcome!
    WE ARE AN ADVANCED, NO WORD COUNT, DISNEY PERSONIFIED ROLEPLAY, SET ON AN ISLAND OFF THE COAST OF MAINE. AFTER AN EARTHQUAKE ROCKS THE ISLAND, THE INHABITANTS ARE STARTING TO GAIN SOME POWERFUL NEW ABILITIES.

please register with first and last names! ex:
    MICKEY MOUSE
    news: 07/01: check out our camp nano event! --- 06/01: with the sun of summer comes a festival celebrating everything artistic! --- 04/01: another april fool's curse means people are ageing up and down! --- 01/31: the super blue blood moon has taken away everyone's powers!
  • stats!
    female
    male
    non-binary
    high school
    university
    local
    new local
  • elias admin
    elias admin
    elias admin
  • JESSIE PRIDE
    MARIE MARMONT
    REMY MULOT, THEO MA &
    SALLY CARRERA

add reply   new topic   new poll

Greet Him with Peace, [closed: Marina/Tahti]
DARIUS SINBAD
 Posted: Dec 2 2017, 07:49 PM
First, I actually commit a crime, then you get to blame me for it!
New Local
29 years
Enhanced Agility & Stealth Tactics

Darius would never think to call himself a devout person; he had been practicing until his parents had died, and after that point, everything in his life had fallen away, including his religion. For a few years immediately after their deaths, it had been an act of rebellion; the first year he was too lost in his grief, and after that it had been defiance against the very memory of his parents, who had left him alone in this world. Anger had fallen back into guilt, which had kept him away from doing anything more involved than the occasional fast. By the time he was travelling all around the world, trying to forget everything, there hadn’t been time to even consider doing anything in recognition, and any thoughts of doing same were very quickly dismissed.

Elias Island was the first place that Darius had spent this much time in since he had lived in California. It didn’t feel like home, and he wasn’t sure it would ever be able to find a place that felt like home again, but there was something here that helped. Proteus being here helped a lot, and even though they had a strained relationship if one was being very generous in describing it, even having Eris be here helped. His crew was missing, but they had given every indication of being willing to pack up and join him at a moment’s notice, but he wasn’t willing to take that step just yet. Then it would really feel permanent to him, a place he was developing roots and a network of people, support. It was just too far, too strong a move when his place on Elias Island still felt so tentative.

Maybe it was that feeling that led Darius to the Community Centre on the 12th. He had heard about it around town, and knew that Marina was involved, which was something that pulled him towards and pushed him away from attending, but in the end, the pull had won out. The area set up for Mawlid al-Nabi wasn’t a very large area, but it was bigger than Darius had expected, and the people there seemed eager to talk about everything they had learned. It was fairly clear from talking to them that at least one of them had just researched it, not lived it, but Darius still appreciated his enthusiasm, and settled in to listen to the talk they were giving on the Prophet, and even joined in with the Qasidas and prayers that were being said, as far as he could remember them. He was a little rusty, but the Muslim girl who was leading the prayer gave him a compassionate look, handing him a prayer book that he could follow along with.

Once the prayers were finished their little group broke up, and the Model UN members started to hand out traditional foods, including cassava and pink candies. The baklava looked particularly delicious, but Darius had to turn it down. “I’m fasting,” he explained; something he hadn’t done by choice in years, and even though it wasn’t Monday, seemed fitting to do it today. He felt someone’s eyes on him and turned, seeing Marina there; he gave her a polite smile, figuring she was probably busy with something tonight.

--------------------
Accent: American, Western American dialect
user posted image
  pm
^
♔MARINA KALMAN
 Posted: Dec 3 2017, 01:41 AM
DON'T WORRY, I'LL PROTECT YOU
UNIVERSITY STUDENT
28 years
INDOMITABLE WILL & LOYALTY EMPOWERMENT

Faith came as naturally to Marina as breathing. It had always been a part of her life, the center of her life. But as central to her identity as being Jewish and her faith in Yahweh were, Marina appreciated that organizations like the Model UN allowed her to engage freely in other faith traditions and to learn and grow from the experience. Mawlid al-Nabi had been of particular interest to her when they’d been discussing their plans for the holiday season, especially considering her country’s complicated relationship, to put it lightly, with Gaza. Marina couldn’t pretend to have any solutions to that long term and systemic problem, but she did believe any lasting solution started with understanding, and that started with her.

Marina had gone to one of her fellow Model UN member’s house to help with the food preparation earlier in the week, some of the food had been new to her and therefore exciting, but conforming to someone else’s recipe besides her saba’s for baklava had been difficult for Marina (even if her own attempts at her and Aldo’s apartment had never been stellar). She listened eagerly to the talk, happy to learn, but largely hung back during the prayers, simply observing as respectfully as possible. They reminded her of reading from the siddur, a undiscovered kinship she treasured finding.

It had taken her quite a long time to notice Darius’ presence there, absorbed as she was in the rhythm of the meeting. But once she noticed him, well...it was hard to look away. Her eyes kept drifting to the back of his head, as much as she tried to redirect her attention, to ignore his presence. It wasn’t that Marina was surprised that he was there but...well, he hardly seemed the type. It might’ve been an unfair assumption, but before tonight she would’ve stood by it. That and the fact that he occasionally occupied more of her thoughts than she was strictly comfortable with made her both eager to talk to him and just as determined to stay far, far away. She was here for Mawlid, not to socialize with Darius of all people.

But she was supposed to be helping pass out food, and suddenly Darius was far closer to her than he had been before from her place in the back. She was practicing studiously ignoring him when she heard him say he was fasting. Unbidden her eyes snapped to him, curiosity bubbling up stronger now. Marina didn’t expect him to turn and see her, but when he did all he did was smile. To her surprise, he didn’t try to approach her, didn’t try to talk to her, and it was that more than anything that propelled her towards him. Her interest finally winning out.

She offered food politely as she went, but when she was next to him she quietly commented, “I have to say, I didn’t imagine I’d find you here.” There was obvious curiosity behind the observation, a question hidden behind the words that a carefully raised eyebrow helped convey.
TAG: DARIUS SINBAD | WORDS: 511 | NOTES: let me know if anything doesn't work. <3

--------------------
Accent: Israeli
  pm
^
DARIUS SINBAD
 Posted: Jan 25 2018, 05:13 PM
New Local
29 years

After their last encounter, about the last thing Darius had expected for Marina to do was come up to him. While he was certain that she’d have no qualms about calling his bad behaviour out, both from what he had seen of her personally, and from what he had heard of her from Proteus and other sources, this was hardly the place to do it. Darius didn’t think she would do it in a place like this either, particularly since she was working tonight at the event, or at least Darius was fairly certain that she was. She appeared to be, from his brief glance at her, handing out food and talking to various people, even explaining things. Darius did his best not to watch her too closely, or too carefully, or for too long, but it wasn’t the easiest thing he’d ever done. She was magnetic, in a way he’d felt very rarely before.

To his great surprise though, Marina was the one to approach him. Darius schooled his features as much as he was able, which was no hardship now, after so many years of practice. Marina might have made some things a little more difficult, but an easy going, but otherwise blank look was second nature to him by now. She was curious to see him, and he bit back the defense that he wasn’t here for her, which was true, but not really what she was asking. Darius sighed a little, nodding at someone else handing out food as they passed by, wondering if he’d have to worry about keeping this conversation to himself, for one reason or another. Faith wasn’t something easy for him, and sharing it was even more difficult.

Darius couldn’t imagine Marina leaving without an answer though, so he gave a small, slightly tight smile and answered. “I didn’t expect to be here either,” he told her, more honestly than he probably should have started with. “Mawlid al-Nabi isn’t something that I’ve thought much about for many years.” Since his parents were alive, since he and Proteus were teenagers. “But I heard about everything that was happening here, and thought that it might be nice to be a part of it, at least see what everyone was getting up to. Perhaps participate in some small way.” He didn’t mention the fasting, which had been a spur of the moment decision, one he didn’t really have an answer for. “It’s a real nice set up, though,” he told her, looking back at her with a smaller, more real smile. His eyes had drifted off while talking. “Perhaps not very traditional, or at least not from what I remember, but very welcoming. Thank you.” He wasn’t really sure how much to tell her about any of this, or how much she’d be interested. Or how much Proteus would have told her about them and his past, which Darius couldn’t decide is what he wanted to have happened or not. He glanced around then, wondering if maybe his old friend was there as well. “Your fiancé around tonight?” he asked idly. It would have made a few things easier.

--------------------
user posted image
  pm
^
♔MARINA KALMAN
 Posted: Apr 13 2018, 01:04 AM
DON'T WORRY, I'LL PROTECT YOU
UNIVERSITY STUDENT
28 years
INDOMITABLE WILL & LOYALTY EMPOWERMENT

Darius’ demeanor was interesting, and Marina couldn’t help but wonder how much of it was feigned. It was, perhaps, unfair of her to assume the worst of him again. But, well, he had definitely proven himself to be dishonest before. Something felt slightly off about him, like his veneer of charm wasn’t secured as tightly as normal. Maybe it was that his initial smile didn’t quite reach his eye, but Marina couldn’t be sure she wasn’t imagining it. As she watched him she came to the conclusion that the feeling she got was probably from his discomfort rather than attempted deceit, though she couldn’t tell if she was the one making him uncomfortable, or the event itself. Marina rather thought it was probably both.

She listened to his explanation not with skepticism, like she’d have been tempted to anywhere else, but with interest. Some people came by and grabbed food off her plate and she smiled and nodded at them as they did so, but other than that her attention was completely on Darius. She and Also had spoken about Darius both before and after she’d met him, though Aldo had always called him Sinbad in stories so she could hardly be blamed for not putting it together, and Marina found that she was trying to connect all the things she knew about him with his presence at this celebration. What he was saying wasn’t giving her much insight, though she could appreciate that it at least seemed honest.

Marina almost felt bad that he seemed so hesitant to share. Smiling a bit kinder than she might’ve before he spoke, she suggested, “I’ve noticed that this time of year, no matter what someone’s faith is, has a tendency to draw people back to the comfort of tradition at least.” Marina wasn’t saying that was him, certainly she didn’t know the real Darius well enough to say, but maybe.

His compliment about the set up caused her to smile a little wider, looking around at the event and the people milling around. But it was his other comment that caught her attention. Curiosity drove her to ask, “Not very traditional?” She considered for a moment, looking around. She supposed she had found the Model UN’s Hanukkah celebrations to be weirdly secularized (not necessarily in a bad way, just in a way that made it more open to people outside the faith) and wondered if it was the same. Perhaps it was also the location? Marina wasn’t sure. “How so?” she asked, “I’m curious, this is my first time participating in Mawlid al-Nabi so I have nothing to compare it to.”

Then he asked about Aldo and she was immediately drawn away from her musings about the event and her careful observations of Darius. With something far too close to embarrassment for her liking she said, “Oh, uh, Aldo is working tonight, unfortunately, so he could not make it.” At this moment Marina couldn’t be sure if she would’ve preferred him there or not. But admitting that Aldo wasn’t there wasn’t what made Marina feel awkward, it was the correction that she was about to make. Though it was assumed both by her family, and admittedly by herself, that she and Aldo would someday get married, they were not engaged. “We’re not engaged, though,” she said a bit hurriedly, feeling weird denying it even though it was true. She wanted to ask why he thought they were, but that felt a bit too far, even for her admittedly brazen curiosity.
TAG: DARIUS SINBAD | WORDS: 588 | NOTES: let me know if you need more. <3

--------------------
Accent: Israeli
  pm
^
DARIUS SINBAD
 Posted: Jun 23 2018, 05:50 PM
New Local
29 years

She didn’t believe him. Although it was well deserved, and it was not as though Darius actually knew Marina all that well, it still bothered him. It wasn’t personal enough to hurt, because there was a good reason behind it, and for the same reason, it wasn’t true that he was disappointed, but bothered. He was bothered by her clear scepticism, even though he kept his face neutral. Covering up his feelings behind bravado was absolutely second nature to Darius by now, and covering it up behind a more neutral mask was only very slightly more difficult. Her words were far nicer though, and better to focus on; they were as neutral as his face, a comment about holiday times bringing people together. Darius nodded silently, not really looking at her.

The reason for her question was a little harder to gauge; Darius wondered whether he was overthinking it, when he considered an ulterior motive, or a defensiveness, to her words. “I’m sure some of it is just trying to be inclusive,” he started off with, looking at her with a small smile. “The Sunni and Shia don’t celebrate it in exactly the same way, and there are aspects of them both that I see here, for the one part. We don’t even agree on the date,” he advised her. It felt a bit weird to say we when Darius was really, at best, non-practising, but it would sound even weirder not too. “And a lot of it is geographic, too. I was in Indonesia for it one year, just by pure coincidence, and they have a weeklong festival for it on Java; it was absolutely amazing, very, well, festive,” he said with a short laugh, sounding more like himself. “The prayers, I don’t know. It’s been a while since I’ve celebrated it,” he admitted to her. It felt like a little of the tension had gone from him with his own laughter, or maybe he just felt more of a break from what he’d just participated in.

It made him amused rather than feel any other, more dangerous emotion, at Marina’s rush to explain Aldo, both his person and his absence. He wasn’t surprised to hear that Proteus was working, the man had always been the type, and he was an ER doctor after all, but the news that they weren’t engaged did surprise him. “It’s only a matter of time,” he said wisely, smirking at her. “I’ve seen the way he looks at you; he’s thinking about it.” It had been all over Proteus’ face when he had first described Marina, and insisted that they meet. Darius felt he odd urge to tell Marina not to hurt him, but that felt like an overstepping in about four different ways, none of which he wanted to think too hard about. “He hasn’t said anything, though,” he added, a sudden, worrying thought occurring to him. He didn’t want to suggest anything that she might misconstrue. “I can just tell.” Proteus was his best friend for years, and he wasn’t a subtle man, at least, not to Darius.

--------------------
user posted image
  pm
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

options     add reply   new topic   new poll

• c
  • b
  • o
  • x
administratormoderator
BE RESPECTFUL AND NO SPAMMING!
join us on discord!
remote cbox